Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Kindness

I've been thinking a lot about kindness, about how it is often not my first (or second, or third. . . ) impulse. At some point I realized just how daunting and life-changing it could be to make my moment by moment intention, kindness toward myself, others- family, friends, strangers- and the world.

Kindness, in any specific instance, leaves no one and nothing out. Sometimes kindness requires that we walk away. Sometimes it asks us to dive in. Most often I find it asks me to pause, to slow down, to feel my way into the moment asking, what would kindness look like here?

In a world shouting that you must live your BIGGEST, BEST life, kindness can seem too tame, too quiet, too ordinary. But I begin to suspect that making room for kindness. . . .could take us beyond where we thought we could go, would unleash the breath-takingly wild and generous stuff of which we are made.

 ~Oriah "Mountain Dreamer" House (c) 2016

Gratitude to Karen Davis at Open Door Dreaming for this wonderful photo.



4 comments:

  1. Indeed. Thank you for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. Such a deep value that requires much cultivation.
    I have a question...and am unsure of the best way in which to reach you to ask it, so I will be brief and do so here. I am seeking your permission to craft a children's lesson around your poem "The Invitation" for a Unitarian Universalist children's program. This poem touched me deeply when I was a child, so I am hoping to be able to work with it in a way which will touch the children I teach. As a fellow writer, I didn't want to this without your personal blessing to do so.
    Peace,
    Ilara Stefaniuk-Gaudet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ilara, (not sure I spelled that correctly.) I would be honoured, truly. Have great admiration for UU work. Thank you. Oriah

      Delete