Thursday, May 4, 2017

When We Are Done

It's good to know when something- a job, a place, a relationship, a project, a way of seeing, a struggle- is done for us, to know when it is finished even if it is not, by some external standard, complete. Some of my most peaceful, expansive moments have come when I have realized that what I was holding in my hands was simply no longer for me, and have been able- without fanfare or gnashing of teeth- to just set it down. Oh, sometimes the gnashing of teeth- the second guessing and grieving- came later, but in that moment there was just knowing, clarity, and peace. I don't know why this came to mind when I looked at this wonderful morning photo from Karen Davis at Open Door Dreaming- perhaps it is the blaze of light, the bird about to soar, the spaciousness of the image. Or perhaps there is something I am holding that needs to be set down. ~Oriah

6 comments:

  1. I recognise this so much. Only yesterday, all of a sudden, I let something go. An attachment, need, relationship, grieving, anger, endless explaining, I just let go.
    I know the poem about it from Rev., but I never experienced it before.
    I hope I won't find the need to try and explain it to the persons involved, as no words would do it justice. Someone wrote: you're so brave, and I just had to smile at that. Brave? Not really, it just happened.
    Ofcourse, still human, I do fear a bit when this new found peace will disappear or crumble. I do pray I will still be able to remember it then.
    Love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, although I have experienced second thoughts after letting go, I will say that when the sense of being done comes from a calm, clear place as just what is- I am able to keep to the choice. One of the signs of this clarity is not feeling obligated to give long explanations beyond, "Done for me." All the best with this :)

      Delete
  2. Nicely said Elsewhere, I feel the same and wish you all the love and peace :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anonymous. I value sharing about this. It's all so very very new.

      Delete
  3. I found your site first. The wisdom and inspiration drew me in and has kept me here. So often, I have lifted you in my prayers as I read your words.

    I discovered Karen through your site and what a beautiful treat her images are each day.

    Thank you for your inspiration and interaction here.

    Have a beautiful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maggie- and may you too have a lovely weekend.

      Delete